We all have our favorite writers – Ernest Hemingway’s was, apparently, Mark Twain. Have you ever wondered who your favorite writer’s favorite writer is? Below is a list of some well known authors and their favorite books.
- David Foster Wallace, author of Infinite Jest, is a fan of C.S. Lewis, Erica Jong and Tom Clancy
- Zadie Smith, author of White Teeth, has said her favorite books were written by Vladimir Nabokov (Pnin) and Zora Neale Hurston (Their Eyes Were Watching God)
- Jeffrey Eugenides, author of The Virgin Suicides, favors George Eliot, Leo Tolstoy and Henry James
- Jonathan Franzen, author of The Corrections, lists his top three books as Continental Drift by Russell Banks, Seize the Day by Saul Bellow and The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles
- Haruki Murakami, acclaimed author of Norwegian Wood has always acknowledged the influence of Western writers on his work. He lists Philip Marlowe by Raymond Chandler, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger as his favorite books.